If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I found a variation of this recipe online when I was searching for quinoa and tuna recipes. I altered it slightly and it turned out great! - JessicaPruitt
For the Salad
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil to toast the quinoa
- 1 cup purified water
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 8 ounces canned albacore tuna, drained
- 1 cup cooked chick peas
- 1 handful organic grape tomatos
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1 cup fresh basil, chopped
for the dressing
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 2 large lemons
- 1 cloves garlic, minced
- pinches of red chili pepper flakes
- Salt, Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Rinse the quinoa well and drain. This is important because it gets rid of the bitter coating of the grain.
- In a medium sized pot, heat 1 tbsp coconut oil over med- high heat and add the quinoa to toast it. Toast for 2-3 minutes to give the quinoa a rich, toasted flavor.
- Add the water and broth and stir. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce the heat to simmer. This step takes about 15-20 minutes. You want the quinoa soft but not mushy so test the quinoa after 15 minutes. If the quinoa seems soft but too wet, turn up the heat and cook uncovered over high heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and allow to cool. (I placed my in the refridgerator for 15 minutes)
- In a small bowl, mix the dressing ingredients together and taste. It will be tangy but the quinoa will absorb that.
- Place the quinoa in a serving bowl, fluffing as you pour it in. Add the rest of the ingredients and top with dressing. Toss well and serve!