Author Notes: This is a delicious side that compliments any roasted meat (my favorite Prime Rib); rutabaga’s earthy flavor, French onion pizzazz - caramelized onion, dots of cream and melted, browned Gruyere over a stale baguette slice. The root vegetables happening in the garden, and French onion soup, a favorite of mine, inspired this recipe. Note: another root vegetable could easily be substituted…you make the call. **This recipe was a Whole Foods Market contest winner. - lapadia
Serves 6 (a serving is 1 baguette slice with rutabaga/onion mixture evenly divided into 6 portions). doubles easily.
- 6 stale baguette slices cut from 1/2 to 1 inch thick. Set aside until needed.
- 2 medium rutabaga, (about ½ pound) sliced 1/4 inch thin
- 3 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 stick of salted butter, @ room temp. - assures you will have enough, will not use it all
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Gruyère cheese
- Salt and Pepper
- Sherry (Lustau Dry Amontillado is my favorite to use)
- Heavy cream
- 8x5 oven & broiling safe baking dish – this recipe can easily be doubled
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sauté the onion in a couple tablespoons butter and a tablespoon of sherry, until browned and limp - set aside. NOTE: I always save 6 raw onion rings aside for garnish.
- Blanch the rutabaga slices in salted boiling water for 3 minutes. Remove from water and drain. (It’s best to use young rutabaga; the older ones that are drier and tougher may need to blanch a little longer).
- Coat the inside of the baking dish with butter. Add the rutabaga slices; it’s ok to overlap, season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese over the top and dot with cream – about 6-8 teaspoons.
- Top with the sautéed onion, season with pepper and dot with 6-8 teaspoons cream. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon sherry over the top.
- Add 6 stale baguette slices that have been buttered on both sides. Dot the top of each baguette slice with sherry and cream.
- Top with the remaining cheese. Optional - add a raw onion ring over each baguette slice.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until it starts to bubble; for the last few minutes broil a couple minutes to brown the top.
- Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.