Author Notes: Perfect for breakfast, lunch, or dinner - these potatoes are filling and delicious! - mtlabor
- 5 Idaho potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 sweet red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook for about 20-25 minutes, or until almost fork tender. You want them to disintegrate when you touch them! Drain.
- Heat the oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat until hot. Add the onion and peppers. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until starting to soften. Add garlic and stir for another minute or so, until fragrant. Transfer the onion mixture to small bowl and set aside.
- Add butter to the skilled with the remaining oil and heat over medium-high heat until butter foams. Add potatoes and make sure they are in an even layer on the skillet. Cook without stirring until potatoes are golden brown on bottom, about 4 to 5 minutes. Carefully turn the potatoes and repeat until browning until all sides are golden brown and crisp.
- Stir in the onion-pepper mixture and carefully toss until all is combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with some sausage and eggs for a complete breakfast!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Root Vegetable Side