Author Notes: This is the recipe that inspired my Little Spinach Pinwheels, but it's so easy I hesitated to post it earlier. My answer to those little mushroom turnovers with the cream cheese pastry that my mom was so adept at making....
Another good appetizer to stash in the freezer and pull out when unexpected (or expected) company arrives.. - inpatskitchen
Makes about 20 pinwheels
- 12 ounces mushrooms (your choice), diced finely
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 sheet puff pastry from a 17.3 ounce package
- 1 egg beaten with 3 tablespoons water
- In a large saute pan, melt the butter and add the diced mushrooms, thyme, salt and pepper. Saute until the liquid from the mushrooms evaporates and they become a little brown and caramelized. Set aside to cool.
- Take the puff pastry sheet and roll it into a uniform rectangle about 10 by 12 inches.
- Spread the mushroom filling over the surface of the pastry and the roll it jelly roll style starting with the long side.
- Refrigerate the roll for about 20 minutes before slicing into 1/4 inch rounds.( Or wrap and freeze the roll for later use)
- Place the little pinwheels on a parchment lined baking sheet and dab each with a little of the egg wash.
- Bake at 425F for 12 to 15 minutes and serve warm.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best One-Bite Party Snack