If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is my own, personal, genius recipe. You can have roast turkey and gravy any night of the week, with leftovers for sandwiches. I found this method on a slow cooker web site, and had my doubts, but the results I achieved were nothing short of wonderful. The method is this: pour one cup - just one - of any liquid, like stock, juice or cider in the bottom of a crock pot, put in a layer of vegetables or fruit, and place a well seasoned, bone in turkey breast on top of it. Then, as they say on TV - set it - and forget it! Reduce the crock pot liquid, thicken a little, and voila! Yummy gravy. - Burnt Offerings
Makes one turkey breast
- 1 4 lb. bone in turkey breast
- 1 cup of good apple cider
- 1 yellow onion, sliced into thick rounds
- 1 Fuji or Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and cut into quarters
- 5-6 fresh sage leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 stick of butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 packet proscuitto slices - 3 oz.
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Place a layer of onion slices in the bottom of a 5-6 quart slow cooker.
- Layer the apple, sage and bay leaves on top of the onions, and pour the apple cider over all.
- Mix together the dry spices, salt and pepper and incorporate the butter, making a spice paste.
- Rinse the turkey breast and pat dry. Using your fingers, separate the skin from the meat, without tearing the skin, and smear the seasoned butter under the skin all over the breast.
- Lay the prosciutto slices across the turkey breast, overlapping the slices.
- Place the turkey breast in the crock pot, breast side up, and cook it on low (8-10 hours), or on high (4-5 hours), until an instant read thermometer in the thickest part of the breast reads 170'.
- Remove the turkey breast from the crock pot to a plate or platter and tent with foil to rest for at least 15 minutes while you make the gravy.
- Pour the contents of the crock pot into a saucepan and remove the sage and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer and reduce the volume by 1/3rd.
- Once the sauce has reduced, use an immersion blender and blend the onion and apple into the gravy. It should thicken nicely. You can also pour it into a blender, just be careful when blending hot liquid. Add the teaspoon of cider vinegar, taste, and adjust for seasoning. It might need some additional salt - you decide.
A Genius Secret Weapon to Keep on Hand
Freeze it right there.
A genius secret weapon for your freezer.
Orecchiette with a bite.
Treats for your beach bag.
The best restaurant? Your kitchen.
You won't be board with this game.