Author Notes: My family loves stuffing, but never directly out of the bird. We like to prepare fun different varieties of stuffing baked in a casserol dish separate from the turkey so that it forms a crunchy, delicious texture. This layered stuffing combines sweet butternut squash with onions, sage, mushrooms, and nutty parmesan cheese. - Loves Food Loves to Eat
- 3/4 loaf chewy artisan multigrain bread (about 8 thick slices)
- 1 pound butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 sweet onion- sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage- coarsly chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and course ground black pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (or any nutty, delicate cheese)
- 1 1/2 cup quartered crimini mushrooms
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Tear bread into 1 inch chunks and bake until crispy (about 10 minutes)- set aside
- Turn oven temperature up to 400 degrees
- combine onion, mushrooms, squash, oil, thyme, sage, salt and pepper in bowl and toss.
- Spread in single layer on baking sheet and roast until squash is tender (about 20 mintues)
- Butter a 13x9 inch baking dish.
- Layer into dish in the following order: bread, squash mixture, cheese- repeat.
- Evenly pour broth over top and bake for 30-40 minutes until top is crispy and golden brown. Enjoy!