Author Notes: I love mashed potatoes and these little bites are one of my favorites apps! I stuffed mushrooms with mashed potatoes mixed with feta and then topped them with one of the best ingredients ever - caramelized onions! - Kerstin
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into thin strips
- 24 ounces baby bella mushrooms, stem removed
- 2 Yukon Gold potatoes (mine were 13 ounces), scrubbed, peeled, and cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and butter over medium low heat in a large nonstick pan and cook onions for 45 to 55 minutes, or until caramelized, stirring occasionally.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat and sauté mushrooms for 7 to 10 minutes, or until tender, working in batches. Remove from heat and drain well.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add potato chunks to the pot and boil for 10 to 15 minutes or until fork tender. Drain and mash in a large bowl (yield should be about 1 1/2 cups). Mix mashed potatoes with buttermilk and salt until smooth; mix in crumbled feta.
- Spoon potato mixture into mushroom cavities and top evenly with caramelized onions. Makes 12 servings.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best One-Bite Party Snack