Author Notes: In this delicious stew, walnuts and sage are playing double roles. First I toasted walnuts in olive oil and this step infused it with walnut flavor for all the other components; then I crushed the walnuts and used them as a garnish. I also used dried sage as a seasoning and fresh sage as a garnish. When you look at the recipe, it has pretty many steps, but it’s so very delicious (I already tasted a few times, while writing the recipe), easy and everything is cooked just in one large skillet.
It took me about one hour to make the whole dish and would take even less if I could open the wine bottle myself and not wait for my husband, who went to fill our car with gas. All in all it is a very hearty and delicious stew not only for an every day dinner but also for a company.
- • 2 tablespoons the best quality olive oil
- • ¾ cup walnut halves
- • 4 large boneless chicken thighs, about 1 ½ pounds, cut in 2-inches pieces
- • About ½ pound salami or kielbasa, sliced into ½-inch pieces
- • 1 large onion or 2-3 shallots, chopped
- • 6 garlic cloves, diced
- • 8 oz Crimini mushrooms, small left whole, larger halved
- • 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- • 1 teaspoon dried sage + 5-6 leaves, julienned for garnish
- • ½ cup dry white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc
- • 1 cup homemade or low-sodium prepared chicken broth
- • 1 large carrot, halved and cut in half-moon pieces
- • 1 15-ounce can white beans, well rinsed and drained
- • Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat; add the oil; then add walnuts and cook, stirring until golden, fragrant and crisp, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- To the same skillet, where you now have walnut infused oil, add chicken in a single layer; add a large pinch of salt and pepper; cook until browned. Turn ones, about 3 minutes per side. Using a slotted spoon transfer to a plate.
- Add wine, increase heat to high and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits, until the wine has reduced by about half, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Add broth, salami, the reserved beans, carrot and chicken; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 15-20 minutes. Now is a good time to taste and add salt and pepper, if needed.
- In a food processor pulse a few times the walnuts until coarsely crushed. Serve hot, top each portion with walnuts and the fresh julienned sage.
- To make ahead; cool to room temperature; cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Reheat in a preheated to 350 degrees oven for about 20 to 30 minutes in a oven proof dish, covered with a lid and then top with walnuts and sage.