Author Notes: Left to his own devices, my fiancee (The Gent) will eat asparagus as the vegetable for every meal. So when I get him to like something new, it's a small triumph. I tossed this salad together for the first time last winter, as a prelude to a lazy Sunday supper of Marcella Hazan's Tomato Butter Sauce, and the Gent has been requesting it almost daily ever since.
It’s just mixed greens, orange segments, almonds, & dried cranberries, dressed with a little vinaigrette made from the juice of the orange and a little olive oil.
I am obsessed with Cara Cara Oranges in the winter– their color is so vibrant, and their flavor is more sweet than acidic. Blood oranges would also be delicious. - SideworkEnds
- 2 cups Mixed Salad Greens
- 1 Cara Cara Orange, segmented
- 1/4 cup toasted almonds
- 3 tablespoons dried cranberries
- Juice from ends of oranges
- 1 tablespoon Cider Vinegar
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano (fresh or dried)
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- pinch of salt
- Peel and segment the orange over a small bowl to capture any juice.
- Add vinegar to the orange juice in the bowl, toss in the shallot and oregano. Slowly drizzle in olive oil, whisking constantly, until emulsified.
- Mound two plates with greens. Sprinkle the almonds and cranberries on top, lay orange segments on top. Drizzle with dressing, sprinkle with salt. Enjoy.