If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A salad of contrasts - sweet-tart ruby red grapefruit, tangy mild blue cheese, crisp candied walnuts, bitter watercress or arugula, accessorized —NotesOnDinner
- 2 bunches of watercress
- 1 piece blue castello or other mild creamy blue cheese
- 1/2 cup candied walnuts
- 2 pink grapefruits
- 1 tablespoon currants
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon red vinegar
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Combine 1 tbsp hot water and red vinegar in a very small bowl with 1 tbsp currants.
- In another very small bowl, toss champagne vinegar with the sliced shallot.
- Wash and dry the leaves of watercress and mound on a large platter.
- Cut the Blue Castello into small pieces, removing any rind, and strew over leaves.
- With a very sharp knife cut the top and bottom off the grapefruit. Cut off all the rind and pith. Over a medium sized bowl, carefully slice between the membranes to remove the fruit in sections, catching any juice and the fruit in the bowl.
- Arrange the sectioned grapefruit over the salad.
- Toss the walnuts over the top.
- Lift the shallots out of the vinegar carefully, reserving the vinegar for the dressing. Pulling the rings apart, scatter the shallots over the salad.
- Drain the currants, and toss over the salad.
- Add 1-2 tbsp grapefruit juice to the small bowl with the champagne vinegar. Whisk in olive oil, 1/2 tsp sea salt, and a few grindings black pepper. Dress the salad - you may not need all the dressing.
- 1 cup walnut pieces (mostly halves)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne
- Preheat the oven to 325.
- Toss all ingredients together in a medium sized bowl.
- Lightly spray a rimmed cookie sheet with vegetable oil.
- Spread the coated nuts over the cookie sheet.
- Toast for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool stirring every few minutes so they don't stick too badly to the pan.
This May Be the Best Thing You Can Do with Zucchini
A genius make-ahead summer side
A genius zucchini dish.
Is your cilantro contaminated?
It's time to travel.
Do this for better cold brew.