If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I was in need of a purpose for some remaining blood oranges and the fennel in my produce drawer which led me to this salad. I brought it to a friends house one day and while it was okay but I forgot to bring the goat cheese I had intended to put on it and the vinaigrette was a little to vinegary for my taste. Overall it was fine, nothing to write home about. I revisited the idea of a blood orange salad and make some key adjustments like remembering the goat cheese, adding some toasted hazelnuts and improving on the vinaigrette, now its something to write about! When making this salad I "supremed" my oranges, which is cutting them out of the membranes so they look very pretty and in my opinion taste better without the white pith. Or you can peel them and separate the segments, I won't tell anyone. - homemadecravings
Blood Orange, Fennel, Goat Cheese and Hazelnut Salad
- 1/4 cup Chopped Hazelnuts
- 4 cups Mixed field greens and butter lettuces
- 1/2 Bulb Fennel, Julienned (about 1 Cup)
- 1/3 cup Blood Orange Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- 3 Small (or 2 Medium) Blood Oranges, Supremed
- 2 ounces Goat Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350. Spread hazelnuts on baking sheet and place in oven for 5 minutes until toasted and fragrant. Place hazelnuts in a clean dish towel and rub the nuts vigorously to remove the skins (you don't have to get them all), set aside.
- Wash and dry salad greens. Combine salad greens and fennel in salad bowl. Pour 1/3 cup of vinaigrette around the inside edges of the bowl and gently combine with greens. Add more as needed.
- Divide dressed greens onto two serving plates, top each with half of hazelnuts, oranges and goat cheese and serve.
Blood Orange Vinaigrette
- 1 Medium Shallot, Minced
- 1 teaspoon Zest from Blood Orange (one small)
- 3 tablespoons Blood Orange Juice (from 2-3 small)
- 1 tablespoon White Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 pinch Sugar
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- Ground Pepper
- Combine shallots, zest, juice, vinegar, salt and sugar in a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- Slowly pour in olive oil in a thin stream while whisking into the shallot juice mixture until combined and almost creamy.
- Season with additional salt if necessary and pepper.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Citrus Recipe
Around the World in 16 Breakfasts
The most important meal of the day, the international way.
Breakfast: a worldly affair.
An Instameet by the Bay (Area).
Wildcard Winner: Texas Tailgate Burger
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Stop the soap opera.