Author Notes: Chocolate covered bananas are a very popular frozen snack that can be bought in supermarkets and specialty stores everywhere, so in sum this is not an original concept. And, they are a popular recipe all over the internet. I used a chocolate sauce that has a spicy flavor with a little heat. Decorate with any chopped nut of your choice, or candy sprinkle. - Bevi
Makes 3 monkey sticks per banana
For the Spicy Chocolate Sauce
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup
- 1 pinch ground black cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder or ancho passila
- 1 2-inch piece of orange peel
- quick shake of cayenne pepper
- 4 ounces semi-sweet organic chocolate chips
- Heat 1 cup of the heavy cream, agave syrup, and the spices in a medium saucepan. Bring to a quick simmer. Add the orange peel, the cinnamon stick, and the cayenne pepper. Reduce heat and cook for a few more minutes. Turn off the heat and allow the cream to sit in order to be infused for an hour.
- Heat the chocolate chips in a bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water. When the chocolate is melted, gradually add the infused cream, stirring constantly.
To Assemble the Monkey Sticks
- ripe bananas - each banana cut into thirds
- Spicy Chocolate sauce
- wooden kebob sticks, cut in half, or wooden popsicle sticks
- well chopped nuts of your choice, or candy sprinkles, or appropriate candy bits
- Cut the bananas into thirds, and stick a popsicle or kebob stick in the middle of each banana piece. Place on a parchment lined dish and put into the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Dip each banana into the chocolate sauce, covering throughly. Then, roll into the topping of your choice. (In the photo, I used pistachio nuts, cashews, and sugar sprinkles.
- Place back in the freezer for 30 minutes. Serve!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Frozen Dessert
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chocolate & Spice