If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Chocolate covered bananas are a very popular frozen snack that can be bought in supermarkets and specialty stores everywhere, so in sum this is not an original concept. And, they are a popular recipe all over the internet. I used a chocolate sauce that has a spicy flavor with a little heat. Decorate with any chopped nut of your choice, or candy sprinkle. —Bevi
Makes 3 monkey sticks per banana
For the Spicy Chocolate Sauce
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup
- 1 pinch ground black cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder or ancho passila
- 1 2-inch piece of orange peel
- quick shake of cayenne pepper
- 4 ounces semi-sweet organic chocolate chips
- Heat 1 cup of the heavy cream, agave syrup, and the spices in a medium saucepan. Bring to a quick simmer. Add the orange peel, the cinnamon stick, and the cayenne pepper. Reduce heat and cook for a few more minutes. Turn off the heat and allow the cream to sit in order to be infused for an hour.
- Heat the chocolate chips in a bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water. When the chocolate is melted, gradually add the infused cream, stirring constantly.
To Assemble the Monkey Sticks
- ripe bananas - each banana cut into thirds
- Spicy Chocolate sauce
- wooden kebob sticks, cut in half, or wooden popsicle sticks
- well chopped nuts of your choice, or candy sprinkles, or appropriate candy bits
- Cut the bananas into thirds, and stick a popsicle or kebob stick in the middle of each banana piece. Place on a parchment lined dish and put into the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Dip each banana into the chocolate sauce, covering throughly. Then, roll into the topping of your choice. (In the photo, I used pistachio nuts, cashews, and sugar sprinkles.
- Place back in the freezer for 30 minutes. Serve!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Frozen Dessert
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chocolate & Spice