If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Masala Milk is a common comfort food that can be found in any Dairy store in India. Huge Cauldrons of scalding hot whole milk, enroute to becoming 'Khoya' (milk solids) that form the base for most Indian sweet confections. When the order is placed, a huge glass is apportioned out and cooled by drawing the milk from one container to another (one gets almost tempted to order the milk by the yard). The result is a frothy glass ful of the most delicious sweetened milk with caramel notes in addition to the sugar. The Halwai (confectioner) would then dust it with a sprinkle of toasted pistachio & almond with cardamom &finally, just a dollop of the creamy skin that crusts boiled milk. at which point, I began hating the drink! :-(
Masala Milk was usually served at home to special guests and there were ads galore on TV of prospective brides serving it to future In-laws to win their approval, and cheesier scenes from classic bollywood movies of shy brides entering the nuptial bedroom with silver salvers of Masala Milk.
Well, this is Valentine season, so here goes,
A decadent Masala Milk truffle, with a spiced center of white chocolate ganache with finely crushed toasted almonds & pistachio enrobed in dark chocolate. The spice blend used is a chai masala blend with cardamom, ginger, cloves, cinnamon and black pepper (http://food52.com/recipes/15175_chai_spice_blend) —Panfusine
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon Chai spice blend (http://food52.com/recipes/15175_chai_spice_blend)
- 1 packet white chocolate baking chips (11 oz)
- 1/4 cup toasted Pistachio
- 1/4 cup toasted almonds
- 1 packet Dark chocolate chips (11 oz)
- Crystals of Thai GInger flavored salt or Pink Himalayan salt
- crush the toasted pistachio & almonds into a semi fine consistency and mix thoroughly. Measure 1/3 cup of the combined mixture and reserve. Add the white chocolate chips to the 1/3 cup of nut blend & combine in a glass mixing bowl.
- Add the chai spice blend to the heavy cream and heat until the cream just comes to a boil. Immediately lower the heat to a minimum and simmer the cream mixture for about 5-10 minutes to allow the spice blend to release its flavors. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Strain the spiced cream into the white chocolate chip blend. stir to melt the chocolate completely (feel free to heat in the microwave for 30 seconds extra) to obtain a smooth texture (well almost, the powdered nuts add a lovely graininess to the ganache). Cover the surface with cling wrap and refrigerate till cooled & firm. (about 1 hr)
- Using a melon baller, scoop the ganache and roll it into marbles. freeze until solid (at least 2 hrs)
- Add the dark chocolate chips into a heat proof bowl and melt over a saucepan of simmering water. When the chocolate has completely melted, dunk the spiced ganache marbles into the dark chocolate and coat all over. Gently place on a tray lined with wax paper to set. Once the shell hardens, transfer the truffles into paper cups , garnish with the salt crystals and refrigerate in a dry container.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chocolate & Spice
Have Your Campari—and Eat It, Too
Granita is really, really great
Spike your granita with campari.
The craziest chip around.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
Savor the season.
This pasta's mint to be.