Author Notes: Growing up in Barcelona, we used to share this lemon scented custard with a crunchy sugar topping, with our sister and our mom when we were kids (yes, we all shared one tiny dessert). How we used to “fight” over the last piece of burnt sugar on the top. And how our dad used to watch us with a grin on his face. And that, right there, is a feeling that cannot be explained, only experienced. And it is priceless - May I have that recipe
Makes 5, 4 oz ramekins
- 2 cups UNSWEETENED almond milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 lemon rind
- 4 egg yolks
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat up almond milk, cinnamon stick and lemon rind together in a pot at medium heat until bubbles start to form on the sides.
- In the mean time, in medium bowl beat eggs yolks and sugar until pale yellow. Add corn starch and keep beating for another minute or so.
- Remove cinnamon stick and lemon rind from milk. Slowly add about ½ cup of warm milk to the egg yolks, stirring constantly.
- Add the rest of the milk and stir until well incorporated.