Author Notes: A quick and easy tomato soup. A perfect complement to our Middle Eastern grilled Cheese. - May I have that recipe
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup parboiled or brown rice
- salt to taste
- In a large soup pot, sauté grated garlic and chopped basil at medium heat for about a minute, without letting the garlic brown.
- Turn the heat to low, add crushed tomatoes, water and salt. Turn heat to medium high and bring to a boil.
- Add rice, stir well. Turn heat to low, cover and let simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until the rice starts to soften (increase the time to 30-35 minutes if using brown rice).
- Take pot off the heat and keep it covered for another 10 minutes or until rice has cooked completely.