Author Notes: Tender sweet celery baked inside a flaky pastry crust - did someone just say Springtime? - gussiesmom
- 12 stalks celery with leaves, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and chopped
- 2 leeks (white part only), diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 sheet, thawed, from a 17.3-oz. package frozen puff pastry dough
- 1 cup shredded provolone cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco or hot sauce of choice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly coat interior of 9-inch spring-form pan with cooking spray.
- Press sheet of puff pastry into bottom and up sides of pan.
- In skillet, melt butter with olive oil over medium-high heat. Saute celery, red pepper, and leek 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Scatter sauteed vegetables in bottom of pastry crust. Sprinkle shredded cheese evenly over vegetables.
- In small bowl, beat together eggs, cream, and hot sauce. Pour egg mixture over cheese layer.
- Bake torte 55 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Celery Recipe