Author Notes: As soon as I saw this contest - I couldn't stop thinking about poor old celery sitting on the side of a plate with buffalo wings. It just kept coming back to me; probably because the flavors work so well together. I though - why not treat the celery as the start of the buffalo show? Like a fritto misto (which I love) and I thought this solves the age old dilemma of having vegetarians left out of wing night! Amazing - this is delicious and my playful attempt at remaking a classic The key to this is having nice thick pieces of celery - no hearts here or they'll get overcooked - and you MUST be careful to remove all of the stringy pieces from your pieces of celery. Serve this dish immediately - no one likes soggy fried veggies! For the sauce - I amped up the celery flavor with leaves, seeds, and celery salt. - meganvt01
Makes 1 tray of buffalo celery
Blue cheese dip
- 1/3 cup greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 tablespoon softened cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1 tablespoon scallions, minced
- 1 tablespoon celery leaves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- Combine all the ingredients - season with salt and pepper.
- 12 thick stalks celery, cut into 2 inch long pieces and very carefully trimmed of stringy pieces
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cayanne
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon tabasco (or another hot sauce)
- Your favorite buffalo wing sauce - I like Texas Pete
- peanut oil, for frying
- Combine the flour, cayenne, and salt in one shallow bowl.
- Combine the eggs and tabasco in another shallow bowl.
- Heat your oil in a deep pot over medium high heat - use a thermometer to maintain a temperature of 360 (a bit hot but we want these crisp on the outside without losing crunch on the inside).
- Dip the celery pieces in the egg wash, then dredge in flour.
- Fry until golden brown - about 2 minutes. Sprinkle with salt immediately after cooking.
- Serve with your favorite wing sauce on the side (or drizzled over top) and the blue cheese dip.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Celery Recipe