Author Notes: This is the first time I tried this recipe specifically for this contest. I love the earthy taste of celery root and the dijon and lemon only enhance the flavor. I adapted this recipe from the one on David Lebovitz's blog. I added two stalks of celery and their leaves, which brightened up the dish in both color and taste. - leslie mcstravick
Serves 4-6 as a side dish
- 1 cup mayonaise
- 2 tablespoons heaping dijon mustard
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 or 2 celery roots, depending on size (roughly 2 pounds)
- 2 stalks from inner most part of bunch of celery, including leaves
- celery salt, optional
- Make the dressing by combining mayo, mustard, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
- Peel the celery root and shred using a food processor with the grater attachment or use a cheese grater. Put shredded celery root into bowl with the dressing and stir until combined. If there is too much celery root freeze it to use in soup at a later date.
- Chop celery stalks and mix into salad. Adjust seasoning and serve with a sprinkling of celery salt on top.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Celery Recipe