Author Notes: I make one Celery Salsa, then divide it into two different flavors: a Mild Papaya, and another spicier pineapple and Palermo (a sweet pepper). Many Japanese don't like cilantro so many years ago I started substituting Mitsuba which gives the salsas a very fresh taste. Serve over tofu for a vegetarian feast. - BoulderGalinTokyo
- 4 stalks celery, cut top to bottom, then sliced
- 1/2 onion, peeled, finely diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1/2 cup mitsuba or cilantro
- 1/2 papaya, large dice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon prepared dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon powdered cumin
- BASIC CELERY SALSA: Add celery, onion, jalapeno, garlic, lime juice, mitsuba or cilantro, and salt in a large bowl. Mix, then divide the salsa in half into two separate bowls.
- MILD PAPAYA CELERY SALSA: In the first bowl, add papaya, olive oil, white pepper, mustard, and cumin. Mix and chill in fridge.
Spicy Pineapple Celery Salsa with Palermo Pepper
- 1/4 fresh pineapple, cut in small cubes
- 1 Palermo pepper (or Red Bell Pepper) diced
- 1 teaspoon oregano, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 + teaspoon crushed red pepper, as you like
- 2 pounds shrimp, (Or silken tofu)
- 1 tablespoon sake
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 orange peels, or grapefruit (optional)
- SPICY PINEAPPLE CELERY SALSA WITH PALERMO PEPPER: To second bowl of celery salsa add pineapple, palermo pepper, oregano, black and red pepper. Chill in fridge.
- STEAMED SHRIMP: Massage shrimp with sake. Let rest for 10 minutes. If shrimp smells 'fishy' rinse with water, and add sake again. Season with salt and pepper.
- Under steamer basket put orange peels and water and bring to a simmer. Add shrimp to steamer basket and add lid. Steam until the shrimp are pink and texture is firm, but probably not more than 5 minutes.
- Adjust salt and spices to salsas if necessary. Serve with hot or cold shrimp, or spoon over tofu.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spicy Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Celery Recipe