If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I make one Celery Salsa, then divide it into two different flavors: a Mild Papaya, and another spicier pineapple and Palermo (a sweet pepper). Many Japanese don't like cilantro so many years ago I started substituting Mitsuba which gives the salsas a very fresh taste. Serve over tofu for a vegetarian feast. - BoulderGalinTokyo
- 4 stalks celery, cut top to bottom, then sliced
- 1/2 onion, peeled, finely diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1/2 cup mitsuba or cilantro
- 1/2 papaya, large dice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon prepared dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon powdered cumin
- BASIC CELERY SALSA: Add celery, onion, jalapeno, garlic, lime juice, mitsuba or cilantro, and salt in a large bowl. Mix, then divide the salsa in half into two separate bowls.
- MILD PAPAYA CELERY SALSA: In the first bowl, add papaya, olive oil, white pepper, mustard, and cumin. Mix and chill in fridge.
Spicy Pineapple Celery Salsa with Palermo Pepper
- 1/4 fresh pineapple, cut in small cubes
- 1 Palermo pepper (or Red Bell Pepper) diced
- 1 teaspoon oregano, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 + teaspoons crushed red pepper, as you like
- 2 pounds shrimp, (Or silken tofu)
- 1 tablespoon sake
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 orange peels, or grapefruit (optional)
- SPICY PINEAPPLE CELERY SALSA WITH PALERMO PEPPER: To second bowl of celery salsa add pineapple, palermo pepper, oregano, black and red pepper. Chill in fridge.
- STEAMED SHRIMP: Massage shrimp with sake. Let rest for 10 minutes. If shrimp smells 'fishy' rinse with water, and add sake again. Season with salt and pepper.
- Under steamer basket put orange peels and water and bring to a simmer. Add shrimp to steamer basket and add lid. Steam until the shrimp are pink and texture is firm, but probably not more than 5 minutes.
- Adjust salt and spices to salsas if necessary. Serve with hot or cold shrimp, or spoon over tofu.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spicy Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Celery Recipe
Dumplings, No Recipe Required
Dumplings for one, dumplings for all.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Gluten-Free Strawberry Tart
Eclectic Truffle Chocolate Bars
Cuban-inspired recipes to cook now.