If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Roasting really brings out the flavor of the sweet carrots and peppery parsnips in this soup. The lemon ginger cream gives a nice acidic pop of flavor on top. - Kitchenette
Roasted Carrot & Parsnip Soup
- 4 medium parsnips (about 1 1/4 pounds), roughly chopped
- 5 medium carrots (about 3/4 pound), roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 6-8 sprigs thyme
- pinch red pepper flakes
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4+ cups vegetable broth or water
Lemon Ginger Cream
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- zest & juice of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Toss together parsnips, carrots, 2 tablespoons olive oil, red pepper flakes, thyme, salt and pepper on a baking sheet. Bake until lightly caramelized, about 30 minutes, depending on how large your vegetables were chopped. Remove the thyme stems.
- Warm the remaining tablespoon of oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook for a few minutes, until translucent. Add the garlic and cook another minute. Add the roasted vegetables and stock. Puree with an immersion blender (or a regular blender, in batches if necessary), adding more stock as needed to get the consistency you want. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- For the Lemon Ginger Cream: Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until well combined. Garnish the soup generously with the lemon ginger cream.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Autumn Soup