Author Notes: Roasting really brings out the flavor of the sweet carrots and peppery parsnips in this soup. The lemon ginger cream gives a nice acidic pop of flavor on top. - Kitchenette
Roasted Carrot & Parsnip Soup
- 4 medium parsnips (about 1 1/4 pounds), roughly chopped
- 5 medium carrots (about 3/4 pound), roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 6-8 sprigs thyme
- pinch red pepper flakes
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4+ cups vegetable broth or water
Lemon Ginger Cream
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- zest & juice of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Toss together parsnips, carrots, 2 tablespoons olive oil, red pepper flakes, thyme, salt and pepper on a baking sheet. Bake until lightly caramelized, about 30 minutes, depending on how large your vegetables were chopped. Remove the thyme stems.
- Warm the remaining tablespoon of oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook for a few minutes, until translucent. Add the garlic and cook another minute. Add the roasted vegetables and stock. Puree with an immersion blender (or a regular blender, in batches if necessary), adding more stock as needed to get the consistency you want. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- For the Lemon Ginger Cream: Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until well combined. Garnish the soup generously with the lemon ginger cream.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Autumn Soup