Author Notes: I try to save my dairy for really good cheese, but that doesn't mean I don't like a nice, rich cream-of-whatever soup once in a while. Soaked cashews blend up nicely and give this broccoli soup a velvety texture. - MeghanVK
- 1 cup raw (ie, not roasted or salted) cashews
- 2 cups vegetable stock, plus more to taste
- 4 cups broccoli, cut up (florets and stems - peel off any woody skin)
- 4 sprigs thyme leaves, off the stem
- Cover the cashews with water and set aside to soak for at least an hour (ideally overnight).
- Heat the vegetable stock in a large pot over high heat until boiling, and drop in the broccoli. Let it simmer until very tender, about 5-7 minutes. Add the thyme leaves and turn off the heat.
- Carefully transfer the broccoli to a blender and liquefy until completely smooth. Drain the cashews and add to the blender: liquefy again. Add more stock if the soup is too thick, and blend even further - I like mine viscous to the point of porridge, but you may not. Taste and adjust for seasoning. Serve warm.