Author Notes: One associates celery more with savory dishes. This one is surprisingly sweet and so appropropriate for dessert, especially after a pork or beef entree. - Bohdanna
- 10-12 pieces celery stalks
- 1/4 cup cherry or raspberry fruit spread, no sugar added
- 1 cup sweet red wine
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- juice of 2 large lemons
- 2 pieces large pears (Bosc), peeled, cored and cut in half
- 2 pieces green apples, peeled, cored, and cut into slices
- 2 pieces red Gala apples, peeled, cored, and cut into slices
- Cut celery stalks into 1/3-1/2 inch slcies and add to the bottom of a glass dish about 13 by 9 inches.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix the lemon juice, sugar, fruit spread, wine and set aside.
- Place the apple slices over the celery into the dish, and then the pear halfs.
- Pour the juice wine mixture over the celery and fruit, and bake for about 1 hour, basting from time to time.
- Remove the pears from the dish and place the rest of the sauce into a medium pot and cook down the liquid for another 10-15 minutes.
- Place a laddle full of the sauce on the bottom of each of 2 plates, then place 2 pears over the sauce on each plate.
- Take the remaining sauce and puree it in a blender, and pour over the pears and onto the plate. Serve warm.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Celery Recipe