Author Notes: When I was 13,in 1964, my neighbor Mrs. Apple introduced me to the world of Gourmet , by giving me her back copies. I wish I could thank her for the unknowing part she played in what became my life's career! The non maple version of this recipe, which she made for me, is probably the oldest in my files! - LE BEC FIN
Maple Bacon Vinaigrette
- 1/2 pound cooked bacon, chopped and set aside for assembly
- 1/4 cup reserved bacon fat
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 6 tablespoons hot water
- 5 tablespoons grade B maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a heavy saucepan over very low heat, add bacon fat.Beat together eggs through salt and whisk into fat. Switch to wooden paddle, stirring frequently and scraping bottom and corners of pan, til mixture thickens and coats back of spoon. Do not allow to boil/curdle.Turn off heat.
Cooking Green Beans and Assembling
- 2 pounds green beans, stem end removed; steamed or stir fried to al dente
- sauce from above
- chopped bacon from above
- fresh coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted or raw
- Dress cooked green beans with vinaigrette, stir well with pepper, walnuts and chopped bacon.
- *Our favorite green beans are the haricots verts, frozen, from Trader Joe's. Not defrosted but stir fried from their frozen state, they literally only take 1-2 minutes to cook.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Vinegar
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish with Meat as a Flavoring
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Maple Recipe