Author Notes: This is my version of my favorite salad from a local italian restuarant. Unfortunately, the chef would not part with the recipe so this is my take.... Use good balsamic, good olive oil, and real Parmigiano-Reggiano in this recipe. Given the few ingredients, you need to use quality or the dish will suffer! - Tony S
- 1 head Radicchio
- 1 large bulb Fennel
- 1/3 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano shavings
- 1/4 pound Proscuitto
- 1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar (use white if you have it)
- 3/4 cups Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- pinches Sugar
- 1 Small Shallot Minced
- Kosher Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper to Taste
- Core and slice the fennel as thinly as possible. Core and half the radicchio; slice into tagliatelle sized ribbons. Cut the proscuitto the same size as the radicchio.
- Mix vinegar, mustard, sugar, shallot, and salt & pepper together. Slowly whisk in olive oil or put all ingredients in a container with a tight fitting lid and shake to emulsify.
- Shave Parmigiano-Reggiano with a vegetable peeler and combine with radicchio, fennel, and proscuitto. Mix salad with enough of the vinaigrette to adequately dress. Let sit in refrigerator for 30 minutes, then serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Autumn Salad