Author Notes: This dish can be modified in countless ways and, in fact, started out for me as a soup. It comes together quickly and is a great last minute hors d'oeuvres as many of the ingredients should already be in your pantry. I used almonds and cilantro in this version, but often make it with cashews. Parsley and tarragon are also great herbs to use. - savorthis
Makes 1 1/2 cups
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and steamed, some steaming water reserved
- 1/2 cup sliced nuts, toasted
- olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger, grated (I keep it in the freezer and use a microplane)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped herbs
- 2 tablespoons greek yoghurt or sour cream (optional)
- Sauté onion in olive oil until just starting to brown. Add garlic, coriander, cumin and ginger and cook for another couple minutes.
- Put carrots, onion mixture, nuts and lemon juice in a food processor and blend until smooth. Add water a tablespoon at a time if mixture is too thick.
- Eat as is to keep it vegan or mix in yoghurt or sour cream and adjust with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with crackers, pita bread or grilled baguette.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pub Food