If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I was introduced to the wonderful world of savory pancakes via Yotam Ottolenghi's Plenty. I grew up in Los Angeles, and am always seeking to expand my cooking repertoire with the Mexican flavors that infused my childhood. - zindc
Food52 Review: WHO: Zindc is an avid home cook from Washington, DC.
WHAT: A savory corn cake that would feel at home in every meal of the day.
HOW: Stir up a quick batter, then make like you’re flipping pancakes; top with a bright lime crema.
WHY WE LOVE IT: We don’t have enough savory pancakes in our lives, and these ones -- studded with sweet corn, rounded out with sour cream, cilantro, and cumin -- are the perfect way to start changing that. - A&M
Makes 12 to 14 cakes
- 1 cup masa harina
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 ounces chopped green chile (1/2 a small can) or 1 roasted, peeled, and chopped poblano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons chopped scallions
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Whisk together dry ingredients.
- Put eggs, 1 cup of milk, sour cream, oil and 3 tablespoons of the corn kernels in a blender and blend on high until liquified.
- Combine with dry ingredients and add enough of remaining 1 cup of milk until batter is coming together but still fairly thick.
- Stir in grated cheese, chopped green chile, cumin, scallions and cilantro.
- Spoon onto heated griddle and sprinkle 1tablespoon of corn kernels on each cake before turning.
- 1 cup sour cream
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Combine all ingredients and stir until combined. Serve with the finished corn cakes.
- Your Best Recipe with Corn Contest Winner!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pancakes, Sweet or Savory