If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love vintage recipes and although my Mother does not know how old this is for sure, she guesses that it was from the 1950's or earlier, this was my Grandmothers recipe, she said her quest was to find the perfect double crust lemon pie, she tried many different recipes and then found this one in the newspaper, (Mom still has the original it's so faded you cannot see the date). It's tart and sweet and lemony. Oddly, my Mom never made it for our family and until today I had never tasted this delicious pie. I am so glad she decided to share it, I love lemon pie, this is different and very nice. The actual name of the recipe is "Super Good Two Crust Lemon Pie". Serve with a dollop of sweetened whipped cream or creme fraiche whipped cream.
Makes 1 9 inch pie
- Homemade or pre made pie dough enough for double crust pie
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Pre heat oven to 400 degrees. In small mixing bowl whisk together the sugar and flour and set aside. In larger bowl beat the eggs until thick and creamy, add the sugar and flour and stir to combine, now add the lemon juice, zest and melted butter. Pour into pie pan with unbaked pie dough. Place top layer of dough on, crimp or flute the edge to seal and cut a few vents in the top crust. Optional: Brush with egg wash or cream and sprinkle with sugar. Refrigerate 15-30 minutes to chill the pie before baking.
- Place in oven and bake for 35 minutes, crust will be golden brown, Remove from oven and cool on rack. Serve when pie is completely cooled. I made creme fraiche whipped cream sweetened with a little brown sugar to serve with the pie.