Author Notes: Too tired to cook? Sometimes you need a break. This sauce is ready in 10 minutes, so pick up some deli chicken and a salad (tofu for vegetarian/vegan). The sweet dark vinegar sauce is great for leftover fried chicken, or can be used on poached, steamed, or grilled chicken. I used scallions but leeks are ok, just chop finely. Be sure to use a Chinese SEASONED vinegar (second picture) so you don't have to add soy sauce, etc. - BoulderGalinTokyo
- 200 grams scallions, sliced (about 2 cups) Separate white and green slices.
- 6 tablespoons Chinese black vinegar, Seasoned style
- 2 teaspoons agave (or a little less honey)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seed oil
- 2 teaspoons katakuriko (or 1 Tablespoon cornstarch) dissolved in 1 Tablespoon water
- 4 servings chicken, steamed, fried, grilled, or leftovers (or tofu)
- Put the vinegar and agave or honey in a skillet and bring to a boil, lower heat to medium. Reduce sauce by about 25% (2-3 minutes, I'm using a gas stove). Taste and add a little salt if you think it needs it.
- Add white part of onions to sauce and cook until soft, about 2 minutes. Add green scallion tops to the pan, give one quick stir.
- In a little bowl, stir the thickening agent in the water to keep it dissolved. Add the thickener to the skillet while stirring constantly. (If using cornstarch add about half and wait a minute, if it doesn't thicken add the rest.) After about one minute it should be thickened. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the sesame seed oil.
- Crisp up your leftover fried chicken (I like the Crisp cycle in my microwave). Or grill, poach or steam chicken. Serve with a side green salad and potato salad or rice.
- KATAKURIKO is probably closest to potato starch. Look for it in Asian groceries. It dissolves much better than cornstarch, and doesn't leave a gritty taste. Available on Amazon 2.99.
- Heat chicken however you prefer. I like to use the grill function on my microwave, but heating in an oven is fine too. Serve sauce on the side, or pour over half of half the pieces (to preserve the crispiness).
- VEGETARIAN/ VEGAN: This sauce is delicious on fried tofu too. Or use the tofu directly out of the pack.