Author Notes: The scallions, both in the dressing and grilled for the salad, liven up a basic spinach salad. And bacon and blue cheese don't hurt either!! - inpatskitchen
Serves 4 to 6
For the dressing
- 6 large green onions (white and light green parts only)
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Chop the green onions up a bit and then place all ingredients into a blender. Blend until smooth and then refrigerate until serving.
For the salad
- 20 green onions, about half of the green tops cut off
- Olive oil for coating the green onions
- 12 cups baby spinach leaves
- 5 slices thick cut bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 1/2 cup of your favorite blue cheese, crumbled
- Cut a few slits on the bulbs of the green onions (this will create pretty "flowers" for presentation. Coat the onions with olive oil.
- Heat a grill pan until smokin' hot and then grill the onions until slightly charred. Cut the onions in one inch pieces, saving the pretty bulbs for garnish.
- Combine the spinach, bacon, straight pieces of grilled onion and blue cheese in a salad bowl. Garnish with the onion bulbs and serve with the dressing.