If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: We start to grill this time of year, rain or shine. With mango sauce and delicious pineapple on hand, this is a great light dinner or lunch with a simply dressed bed of greens. - Bevi
Serves 2 - two kebobs per person
For the Mango Lime Sauce
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 shy cup of water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 ripe but not too ripe mango
- zest of one half lime
- dashes Tabasco sauce
For the Shrimp Kebobs
- juice and zest of 1/2 lime
- 4 splashes good olive oil
- 2 dashes sea salt and ground pepper
- 3/4 pounds large shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 1 thick slice pineapple, cut in thick chunks
- 4 sweet long peppers, red and orange, cut in half crosswise (Sunset brand comes in a small plastic bag)
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 8 wet wooden kabob sticks
- 4 tablespoons mango lime sauce
- Prepare the mango lime sauce: Pour the lime juice into a liquid measuring cup. Add enough water to make 1 cup of liquid. Place the sugar and lime juice/ water into a saucepan over low to medium heat. Stir to dissolve the sugar, and allow to simmer until the syrup thickens a bit. Add the mango slices, and cook for about 5 minutes, then add the 1/2 lime zest and cook another 5 minutes. Take off the heat and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, lift the mango slices out of the syrup and place in a food processor. Add 1/4 cup of the syrup, and process until you get a smooth puree. You should have about 1 cup of puree. Stir in the Tabasco sauce. Place the puree in the refrigerator; overnight if possible. The puree will set nicely.
- Make a simple marinade for the shrimp, using 2 splashes of olive oil, the lime juice, the lime zest, and the salt and pepper. Allow the shrimp to marinate for only 10 or 15 minutes, or the shrimp will "cook" in the marinade.
- Place the pineapple, the peppers and the tomatoes in a bowl, with 2 splashes of olive and more salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Using 2 kebob sticks, spear a pepper, then a shrimp, then a pineapple chunk; and repeat so 3 shrimp are on each kebob stick. Top with a cherry tomato on the tip of each stick.
- Place the kebobs on a heated grill or grill pan and cook 3 minutes on each side. Serve on a bed of mixed greens of your choice, dressed with a simple olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper dressing. Drizzle the mango sauce atop the kebobs, serving more sauce on the side.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Barbecue
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Shellfish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mangoes