If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Radishes and turnips are mainstays of the spring CSA box. Both take well to roasting and I dress them with this horseradish and thyme butter adapted from the Gourmet Cookbook. I used Vidalia spring onions, turnips, radishes and carrots; but new potatoes and baby beets would be good, too. (We're lucky in Georgia to get spring Vidalia onions, but any mild, sweet onion will work here. - Lucy Mercer
Food52 Review: I will admit I'm a sucker for roasted vegetables, but typically just enhance their sweet goodness with some salt and pepper. This recipe may change that! The horseradish-thyme butter adds another dimension of flavor, with fairly minimal extra effort. The turnips and radishes have a slight bitter edge that is offset nicely by the zingy, buttery sauce. The sauce also balances the pure sweetness of the carrots and onions. My veggies were done at 35 minutes, so be sure to watch for caramelization. Make sure to taste a veggie or two before serving and add more salt, vinegar, or horseradish if desired. - hardlikearmour
Roasted spring root vegetables
- 3 spring Vidalia onions, quartered
- 12 radishes, halved (for small ones) or quartered (for large ones)
- 3 turnips, peeled and diced 1"
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced 1"
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400. Combine vegetables in a large bowl and coat with olive oil, salt and pepper. Stir with spoon or toss with hands to make sure all pieces are evently coated.
- Spread vegetables in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet. Place in 400 degree oven for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Vegetables will have caramell-brown edges when ready. Toss vegetables with Horseradish-Thyme Butter and serve.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a small skillet over low heat, melt butter. Add prepared horseradish, thyme, sherry vinegar and salt. Use a whisk to thoroughly combine. Pour butter over warm roasted vegetables and serve.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Radishes or Turnips