Author Notes: Spring greens always get me inspired for a summer long of delicious lunch salads. One of the best ways to kick up a vinaigrette is with some beautiful, fresh herbs. I pretty much can't get enough dill - any time. This salad is best with fresh from the garden veggies - still warm after a washing or just let your veggies lose the chill of the fridge - all the flavors meld best at room temperature. Feel free to adjust the ratio of your vegetables, depending on what you like best. - meganvt01
Makes two large salads or four side salads
- 1-2 tablespoon dill, minced (no stems)
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- On your cutting board, sprinkle your salt over the minced garlic. With the back of a fork, mash the garlic and grind it up with the salt. This helps release the flavor and makes the garlic a paste so you don't end up with a big bite of garlic.
- Combine the salted garlic with the rest of the ingredients and whisk or shake in a closed lid bowl. Adjust seasonings to your taste. (I used the whole 2 T of dill - see what works for your palate by adding 1 T at first and then go all in!)
- 8 cups fresh lettuces, any variety, washed and torn into bite sized pieces
- 6 radishes, tops and tails removed, cut in half and then sliced thinly
- 1 small seedless cucumber, ends removed, halved and slice into half-moon shapes (1/3 inch thick)
- 10 - 15 cherry, grape, or pear tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta
- 1 cup cooked chicken - cubed ( you can even use good quality deli sliced chicken)
- 4 large eggs
- To cook the eggs (perfectly) - in a large saucepan put the eggs with cold water. On high, bring the water to a boil. Turn off the heat, remove the saucepan and let the eggs sit for 11 minutes.
- Drain the eggs, cool them with some cold water - but you don't want them cold. While still slightly warm, peel the eggs. Slice them into quarters and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Compose your salad starting with a base of lettuce. End with the eggs on top. Spoon over your desired amount of dill vinaigrette!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lettuce