If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love tomatoes and mayo on toast and I really love BLTs but only have them twice a year, once at the beginning of tomato season when the tomatoes are at their best and then again at the end of the season when I know they'll be soon gone. We'll have them with plain mayo or avocado mayo, depending on our mood. This sandwich satisfies that BLT craving even when the tomatoes are not quite at their peak. - inpatskitchen
Food52 Review: WHO: inpatskitchen is a retired teacher, paralegal and seafood retailer.
WHAT: A tomato, avocado, and bacon sandwich that defies all expectations -- in a good way.
HOW: Avocado, crumbled bacon, and rendered bacon fat (!) make an aioli never to be forgotten. Then it's just a matter of slathering it on toast and adding tomatoes.
WHY WE LOVE IT: As inpatskitchen says, the aioli is so good that "even when the tomatoes are not quite at their peak," you'll be craving this sandwich. Just imagine what it'll be like come August. - A&M
Makes about 2 cups of aioli for many sandwiches
For the Bacon-Avocado Aioli
- 3 slices bacon, cooked crisp, crumbled and rendered fat reserved
- 1 room temperature egg
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1 medium avocado
- Juice of half a lemon
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- Process the bacon, egg, garlic, lemon juice and avocado in the bowl of a mini food processor until smooth. Add the vegetable oil and the rendered bacon fat through the holes on the lid slowly while continuing to process until very smooth and thick. Refrigerate for about an hour to thicken a bit more.
For the sandwich
- The Bacon-Avocado Aioli
- Toasted slices of a good rustic Italian bread
- The best tomatoes you can find, sliced about 1/4 inch thick
- Salt and pepper
- Slather as much of the aioli as you like on a slice of the toast. Top with a few slices of tomato and sprinkle with salt and pepper. I like these open face but if you like, slather a second piece of bread with more of the aioli and place on top.
- Your Best Dish with Meat as a Flavoring Contest Winner!