Author Notes: This dish makes a nice light dinner, and is great for spring. The garlic is there but not over-powering, the lemon adds a nice, bright, flavor, and the asparagus adds a nice crunch. I would imagine that this could be made with any number of cheeses, especially goat cheese. - beijinggirl
Serves 3 or 4
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 ounces grana padano
- 1 1/2 ounce pecorino
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 7 ounces whole wheat fusilli
- 9 ounces asparagus, cut on the diagonal into 1 inch pieces
- splashes vinegar
- 3-4 eggs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine garlic, cheeses, lemon juice, and olive oil in a bowl.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add pasta and cook as directed. 4 minutes before the pasta is done, add the asparagus and bring to a boil again. In another pan, bring some water to a simmer and add vinegar.
- Drain pasta and asparagus, reserving about a 1/3 cup of the cooking water. Return pasta and asparagus to pan and add the cheese mixture and half the cooking water. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir and add more water if needed. Keep warm.
- Poach eggs in the separate pan until whites are just set. Divide pasta among shallow bowls and place an egg on top.