Author Notes: Spanish flavors abound in this recipe, from fruity olive oil, garlic and pine nuts, to the smoky flavor of Pimenton de la Vera and Spanish chorizo. This is a fabulously easy and creative one-pan, weeknight meal, and leftovers are a perfect lunch. Lots of veggies, healthy oils, nuts and flavor. Add a fried or poached egg on top if you want a little extra protein. - bonbonmarie
Food52 Review: Bonbonmarie definitely came up with a "bon" recipe here and Spanish flavors are certainly abound as described. Toasty cumin, spicy chorizo and the crispy broiled cauliflower came together well. The egg in the picture isn't in the recipe, but I served it with an egg nonetheless. I subbed in spicy paprika instead of sweet, because I'm a big fan of heat. I can imagine it to be delicious either way! - Food52
- 1 head Cauliflower, about 2.25#, including any good ribs and leaves
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and cut in half the long way
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon Pimenton de la Vera (I use dulce)
- 1 teaspoon freshly toasted and ground cumin seed
- 1/4 cup good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, cut in 1/" wedges
- 2 med carrots, grated (large grate)
- 2 ounces Spanish chorizo, cut into small pieces.
- 1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted in a dry pan
- 1.3 cups chopped fresh parsley
- remove leaves and ribs from cauliflower, and if fresh and tasty looking, chop up roughly and set aside for later. If this part is nasty and beat up, give it to your chickens or compost!
- Chop cauliflower florets and stems into 1/2-3/4" pieces. Place on a rimmed 1/2 sheet baking pan. Place slivered garlic into pan with cauliflower. Drizzle generously with olive oil, add all spices, and mix together. Place in oven at broil for about 7-10 minutes, until cauliflower are toasting.
- Remove from oven. Add onions and cauliflower leaves/ribs and toss to coat. Return to oven for 3-5 minutes. Be more vigilant now. You want the vegetables toasty but not too soft. Remove from oven.
- Toss in the grated carrots, pine nuts, chorizo and parsley and combine. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve as a side or a main dish.