If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My passion for crème fraîche is a little like Lorelei Lee's for diamonds: I just love finding new foods it can dress up. Here, whisked with lime, chives and honey, it makes the oxycontin of salad dressings: you just can't stop taking it.
This recipe was submitted in answer to the "Your Best use of Meat as a Flavoring" challenge. OK, it is fish, not meat, but you'll get your minimum daily protein requirement. Instead of the usual tuna, I used a bit of smoked fish: delicate smoked salmon for a gentle embrace, or mackerel for when you are up to a punch of flavor. Both are good. If, like me, you become an addict of the lime-chive cream, you could try it with potato salad or, thickened, as a dip for crudités. - creamtea
Food52 Review: What a wonderful way to celebrate the freshness of summer vegetables on a hot summer evening. But to be honest, the true star of this dish is the dressing. The combination of crème fraiche, lime and chives elevates this hearty and delicious salad to a new level, and makes a delightfully happy marriage with smoked salmon. Cook the beans, potatoes and eggs in the morning, and make the dressing. Everything else can be quickly prepped and assembled just before you’re ready to eat. But, trust me, you’ll want to double or triple the dressing recipe. It’s that good. - TheWimpyVegetarian
For the Salad
- 1 1/4 pounds tiny creamer potatoes, trimmed
- 3/4 pound French filet beans or regular green beans, stem end removed
- About 4 cups butter lettuce leaves, loosely packed, washed and spun dry
- About 2 cups baby spinach leaves, washed and spun dry
- 2 pointed sweet red peppers (or 1 large red bell pepper), quartered lengthwise and sliced crosswise
- 3 Persian cucumbers, halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise
- 3 ripe, red-brown or other flavorful tomatoes, cored and sliced into wedges
- 4 hard-cooked eggs, halved
- 1 clove from a head of shallot, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, cut into thin wedges (optional, but good)
- about 3 oz of mild smoked salmon such as Scottish or Gaspe, sliced in ribbons, or one filet of smoked, peppered mackerel, flaked (about 3 oz.), as preferred
- Bring a medium pot of water, seasoned with salt, to the boil, and add the beans. Cover and turn off heat. After about 3 minutes, beans should be crisp-tender. Remove with tongs or slotted spoon to a bowl, rinse with cold water to refresh, drain, and set aside
- Re-heat water to boiling point, add potatoes, reduce heat, and simmer until just tender. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Toss lettuces together and arrange on individual plates.
- Over lettuces, arrange remaining vegetables and eggs prettily and as your whim dictates, ending with smoked fish and shallots. Drizzle with lime cream dressing and serve.
For the lime cream
- 1 1/2 - 2 tablespoons crème fraîche
- juice of 1/2 lime
- zest of 1 lime
- fine sea salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon mild honey
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- Whisk crème fraîche, lime juice, zest, salt, and honey together until smooth. Add chives and whisk again to incorporate
- While whisking, add olive oil in a thin stream until blended. Drizzle over individual salads. Note: if increasing, taste for seasoning as it should be tart but not too tart and may require adjustment.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Honey
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dark, Leafy Greens
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fresh Herbs
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cheap Feast
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lettuce
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish with Meat as a Flavoring
These Ballads Are Bananas
Our favorite food-centric songs.
A feast for the ears.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
We're woven this backpack.