If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The Americanization of Gazpacho -- sounds like a book title, but no, it's another one of those stories of the success of the immigrant transformed into a recipe. Inspiration in food often starts with a rigidly raised ancestor -- the Gazpachos of Spain. A quick look at Wikipedia reveals an ancient history of the "salad-soup" going back to Roman times, 12th century appearances -- and defines it as tomato based. Precedent to introduce the classic base to avocados, chile peppers and cumin, all in the interest of a delicious bowl. At my house, this made a light supper on a late spring night, with cornbread baked in a cast iron skillet and well aged Cabot Cheddar. - susan g
- 1 green pepper
- 2 stalks celery
- 4" pieces greenhouse cucumber, or pickling cuke
- 1 large shallot
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 -1/2 cups cilantro, packed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice with pulp
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon thyme
- 1 10 oz. can Ro-tel Chunky Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies
- 1 avocado, ripe
- yogurt (regular, not Greek-style)
- Cut peppers, celery, cucumber, shallot, garlic in rough dice. Chop in the food processor. Cut cilantro roughly, pulse in the food processor with the other vegetables.
- Mix oil, vinegar, juice, spices in serving bowl, add chopped vegetables, contents of the Ro-tel can. Cut the avocado in small dice and stir into the bowl.
- At serving, top with a good spoonful of yogurt. Mixed in or not, it adds another dimension to complete the flavor. If it is made a few hours ahead, the chile taste will infuse the dish. It is good the next day, but will be more liquid.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Green Stuff
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Warm Weather Soup
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Avocados
Too Many Cooks: Who Has Changed the Way You Cook?
Let's talk game changers and influencers.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Simple, Springy Leek Soup
A well-rounded bud vase.
The Best Cinnamon Rolls