Author Notes: About a year ago I hastily threw together a spread similar to this using store bought guacamole, crab meat and mayo for an appetizer I needed to bring to a dinner party. Everyone enjoyed it and I've since honed it with fresh avocado, better crab meat and chipotles in adobo. Spicy and creamy, it makes a great summer appetizer for a group. - inpatskitchen
Makes a 9 inch plate and serves a small group
For the chipotle guac
- 2 ripe avocados
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 chipotles in adobo, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro or flat leaf parsley
- In a medium bowl, mash the avocado with a fork or spoon until fairly smooth (leave a little chunkiness in it). Stir in the lime juice followed by the remaining ingredients until well incorporated. Set aside.
For the crab and putting it all together
- 8 ounces fresh pastuerized blue crab meat (backfin or lump)
- 1/3 cup great mayo
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce from the chipotles in adobo
- Sliced green onion, diced tomato and sliced pitted black olives for garnish.
- 1 9 inch pie plate or similar size dish ( I used a Pyrex pie plate)
- The chipotle guac
- Tortilla chips for serving
- Gently fold the mayo, adobo sauce and salt into the crab meat .
- Spread the guacamole evenly on the bottom of the pie plate. Gently spread the crab mixture over , completely covering the guacamole. Garnish with the green onion, tomato and sliced olives. Carefully cover and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving with tortilla chips.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Avocados
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Shellfish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Avocados