If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is my guess at what guacomole would be if it was born in SE Asia. It's enough like aTex-Mex version that you will recognize it as guacamole; it's enough different that your taste buds will perk up and take notice! - hardlikearmour
Makes 2 1/4 cups
- 1 large lime
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 medium shallot
- 3 medium garlic cloves, peeled
- 1.5- to 2-inch knob ginger
- 2 large ripe Hass avocados
- Mint (about 10 large leaves)
- Thai Basil (about 20 leaves, less if your subbing regular basil)
- About 10 sprigs cilantro (or about 15 leaves rau rum if you've got access)
- 1-2 thai chiles (the little red ones)
- Wash lime thoroughly and remove 2 loosely packed teaspoons of zest. Place zest in medium bowl. Juice lime and add 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons of lime juice to bowl. Add fish sauce to bowl. Mince shallot and add 2 tablespoons to the bowl. Stir to combine.
- Using microplane grate the garlic into the bowl (about 1 1/2 teaspoons). Using microplane grate the ginger and add 1 tablespoon to the bowl. Stir to combine.
- Cut each avocado in half and remove the pit. Scoop out the flesh and add it to bowl. Use a fork to mash the avocado, then stir to thoroughly blend the ingredients. Taste for salt and acidity. Add a splash more fish sauce or lime juice if needed.
- Coarsely chop the mint, basil, and cilantro. Measure 2 tablespoons of each by gently scooping it into a measuring spoon (or eyeball it if you're good at that sort of thing.) Add each to the bowl. Finely mince the thai chile(s) and add 1/2 (or less) to the bowl. Stir to combine. Taste for heat and add more chile if desired.
- Allow flavors to marry for 20 minutes or longer before serving. Keeps covered and refrigerated for at least 12 hours.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Avocados
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fresh Herbs
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Mint
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Avocados