Author Notes: Variations on this dish have become a staple around here. You can use any number and combination of herbs and greens, but mint and tarragon are really my favorite additions for spring and summer. I have made this with israeli couscous, farro and millet. I think quinoa would work, but I did prefer the larger grains. I use the Everybody's Nuts salt and pepper pistachios because they are so flavorful, though any salted/roasted pistachios would work. You could even use almonds, walnuts or hazelnuts. - savorthis
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup mint, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tarragon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped (green parts of green onion also work)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup israeli couscous
- 1 1/2 cup broth or water
- 1 sweet yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup pistachios, chopped
- 2 cups greens (chard, spinach, mixed...)
- parmesan to garnish
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Put all herb dressing ingredients in a blender and pulse until just smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Briefly toast pistachios in a dry pot then put in large bowl. Add 1 T olive oil to pan and saute shallots over medium low until deep brown. Add to bowl. Add remaining 1 T olive oil to pot and toast couscous to a light brown. Add broth and simmer over low until liquid is absorbed and couscous is tender (10-12 minutes). Add couscous to bowl and let cool. Toss with herb dressing and greens and divide on four plates.
- Melt butter in a pan and fry eggs to over easy. Place one egg on top of each salad. Using peeler, shave thin slices of parmesan over eggs and add a grind of fresh pepper. Serve with toasty bread.