If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: In my household, we eat a fair number of potatoes. However, we do find that we end up with a few potatoes that need to be devoured sooner rather than later. Just the other day I was bored and pulled out this mandolin contraption that my hubby purchased and thought, "why not?" Most of us admit to wanting to indulge in a heaping helping of french fries, but the guilt, The Guilt!
Using a mandolin can give you beautifully (and quickly) sliced fries. And roasting them will give you french fries without the guilt. Because I like spices, my Roasted Slap Fries have a few spices mixed in. Of course all of our tastebuds vary so feel free to add more or less or omit altogether any spice or herb listed. In addition, to add the guilt back, I dip these fries in my homemade Srirachannaise sauce: Sriracha hot chili sauce + mayonnaise. Enjoy! - viblanco
Food52 Review: WHO: viblanco is a FOOD52er who loves her Le Creuset braiser.
WHAT: Easy oven fries with a dipping sauce that you'd never guess took seconds to make.
HOW: Roughly sliced potatoes are generously coated in spices before baking into crisp, hard-to-resist fries.
WHY WE LOVE IT: For french fries without a pot of hot oil, we'll be returning to this recipe every time the urge strikes. And the sauce couldn't be simpler -- or more addictive. - The Editors
Roasted Slap Fries
- 4 medium potatoes, whole yellow or red
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for baking sheet
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for after cooking, if desired
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Using a mandolin, slice the potatoes into long, thin rectangular pieces to mimic the standard fries shape. If you do not have a mandolin then using a knife to cut the potato into long rectangular pieces.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the raw potato pieces, all the spices, salt and 4 tablespoons of the olive oil. Mix well so that the potato pieces are fully covered by the spices.
- Grease a large baking sheet olive oil to help keep the potato pieces from sticking while cooking. Pour the contents from the mixing bowl onto the baking sheet and spread out the pieces for an even heating.
- Cook for 35 minutes. Be sure to move and rotate the potatoes with a spatula every 10 minutes to avoid too much sticking and burning. Cook for less or more time depending on how crunchy you prefer your fries.
- To prepare the Srirachannaise, in a small bowl, combine the Sriracha sauce and mayonnaise. Mix until well blended. Add more or less of the ingredients to suit your taste.
- When the fries are ready, sprinkle with a bit of kosher salt, if desired, and eat immediately. Serve with Srirachannaise, ketchup or nothing at all.
- Your Best Pub Food Contest Finalist!
12 Make-Ahead Egg Dishes for Easter Brunch
Hop to it!
Winner of Your Best Recipe with Honey
A sweet Q&A with Alexandra Higgins.
Style with a breeze.
Watch Amanda and Merrill Make Macaroni and Cheese Without a Recipe
Gouda riddance to powdered cheese.
Cauliflower Gratin With Mornay Sauce