Author Notes: In May, I was invited by the editor of Louisiana Cookin’ Magazine to photograph a recipe contest at the Louisiana Culinary Institute (LCI) for what the magazine had dubbed the “Seafood Fitness Challenge” of 2012. Recipes were entered by various readers and were broken down into 6 categories of the best-tasting healthy recipes–Alligator, Crawfish, Crab, Oyster, Shrimp, and Finfish. Although I will forever be impressed by the fact that I live in a state that values “alligator” as a seafood category, the results of the contest were pretty amazing and the alligator dishes presented were undoubtedly impressive.
Sadly, I was so caught up in taking the 550+ photos of the day that I never had a chance to test any of these recipes during their development, but I made sure to take mental note of the fascinating descriptions made by LCI students and the flavors valued best by the review board.
Here’s a little pictoral review of my day with Louisiana Cookin’ Magazine and the training chefs at Louisiana’s Culinary Institute. See below for the winning recipe of the 6 categories, the Brazilian Open-Face Crab Sandwich.
Chef's Note: This recipe is reprinted from Naylet LaRochelle of Miami, Florida, and is the winning recipe for the Seafood Fitness Challenge with Louisiana Cookin’ Magazine. For the other winning recipes, see louisianacookin.com - Helana Brigman
- 1/2 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, grated
- 1 pound Louisiana jumbo lump crab meat
- 1 cup fire-roasted red peppers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped fine
- 4 1 1/2-inch thick slices French Bread
- 1 tablespoon good quality olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup watercress
- In a mixing bowl, add yogurt, mayo, orange zest, orange juice, and lemon zest. Mix to combine. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Preheat oven to Broil setting. In a mixing bowl, add crabmeat, red peppers, capers, red onion, paprika, salt, pepper, and cilantro. Mix to combine. Brush sides of French bread with olive oil and toast in broiler at lest 1 minute on each side.
- When ready to serve, top each piece with yogurt mixture, then crab mixture, then watercress slices. Drizzle dish with hot sauce (if desired) and serve with lemon wedges.