If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: When I was a kid, my dad was on a mission. He had an ancient and fond memory of a puffed, toasted cheese on toast, and he set out to reproduce it. His version used a tub of spreadable, sharp cheddar, plus mustard, mayo, salt, and pepper, and it was done in the toaster oven. A few years later, when he bought a giant, illegal (for a house) restaurant stove, he'd tuck them under the flames of the salamander until he achieved bubbly goodness. I am not sure if he ever reached his goal, but I loved being his test subject. He would never add onions, as I have, but it seemed a worthy addition. This is now my memory and I can do what I want with it. - savorthis
Food52 Review: This. Was. Amazing. What makes it so great is that, though it takes 10 minutes to put together, you end up with something that feels complex and decadent. The dijon is prominent without being overpowering -- it really pulls everything together. I served this as an entrée on rosemary bread (do this!) with a simple salad and will definitely be making this again as a quick lunch for weekend guests. - EmilyS1220
- Really good crusty bread (I used rosemary sourdough)
- 1 1/2 cups very sharp cheddar, shredded
- 1 tablespoon mustard (Dijon or Colman's)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon mayonnaise
- 1 pinch thyme
- 1 teaspoon finely minced onion
- 1 egg yolk
- Black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the broiler. Butter one side of two large (or four small) thick slices of bread and toast under the broiler until brown. Flip them over onto a cookie sheet.
- Mix the remaining ingredients and spread them onto the bread. Return them to the oven and cook for a couple more minutes until puffed, browned, and bubbly. Grind fresh pepper on top.
- I served this with a simple butter lettuce and chive salad with balsamic vinaigrette (aged balsamic, Dijon, olive oil, salt, and pepper). The sweet vinegar and mustard are a great match.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Mustard
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pub Food
Have a Brew-ti-ful Day
Shop our newest caffeinated collection.
Everything you need for coffee and tea.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
A list of things we like.
Home & design links we love.
Add flower power to your espresso.