Author Notes: This is a scrumptious Asian dish, and very healthy too. I love the combination of earthy salty flavours you get from soy sauce and miso matched with the meatiness of the chicken. You should be able to find most of these ingredients in the shops, but if you cant find mirin (sweet rice wine) you can substitute it with sherry. - Chef_Mel
Chicken and Rice
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 pinches Chinese 5 Spice
- 1 1/2 cup (uncooked) long grain white rice
- 2 1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 Spring onions, chopped finely
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, stems and leaves chopped
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 4 tablespoons White Miso Paste
- 3 tablespoons brown rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons mirin
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Heat the oven to 200C. Put chicken breasts on a non-stick baking tray, drizzle with a little oil, and sprinkle over some salt, pepper and Chinese 5 spice. Put tray into the oven and the chicken should be cooked in 25-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook the rice according to the packet instructions in salted water. Four minutes before the end of cooking, add the broccoli to the rice. Mix the sauce ingredients together in a mixing bowl, and set aside.
- Drain the rice and broccoli and then return to the pan with the spring onions, coriander and the miso sauce. Cook for three minutes or until everything is well combined and hot. Serve with the cooked chicken breasts, sliced on the diagonal, and with some fresh cilantro as garnish.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Soy