If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: You get the rich deep soy flavor infused with a little bit of sweetness because of the honey. There is a kick from the mirin; then a uprising of the spiciness from the shishito pepper. The char of the medium grilled beef short-rib gives great texture to the rice. The acidity of the salad gives another layer of flavor and freshness for balance.
Inspired by Chef De Cuisine Sung Anh.
Recipe by Antony Le. Thanks for viewing my style of cooking and interpretations. —Chef Le
- 1 -Salad-
- 1/4 cup Dill (Chopped)
- 1/4 cup Chives (Finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup Basil (Chopped)
- 1/2 cup Parsley (Chopped)
- 1/4 cup Lemon Juice
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Zest
- -Short RIbs-
- 4 pounds Beef Short Ribs (Thin)
- 1 Small Shallot
- 1/4 cup Canola or Olive Oil
- pinches Salt and Pepper (As needed)
- 1/2 cup Honey
- 1/3 cup Mirin
- 1/3 cup Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon 1 inch thinly sliced ginger rounds
- 1 Shishito Pepper (Thinly sliced rounds)
- 1 tablespoon Granulated Sugar
- RIce (optional)
- Cook the rice in a rice cooker/steamer. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mise en place. Season short ribs with salt and pepper.
- Set a small saucepan over med-high heat. Bring the honey, mirin, soy sauce, ginger, chile and sugar to a boil. Season with salt. Turn off the heat and divide the glaze between two small bowls. Here's a good tip: You can keep reducing the glaze at a simmer until reaching your desired consistency.
- Add the oil in a small pan over medium-high heat. Take the pan off the heat and add the chopped shallot. Back on the heat; stir and cook for 1 minute. Add the garlic and cook for another 45 seconds. Store inside a small bowl. You could also add the oil (it is aromatic flavor).
- Turn the grill on to high heat. Cook ribs for 3-4 minutes on one side. Place grill-marked side up of short ribs on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Spoon the garlic and shallot onto the short ribs. Brush the short ribs with the glaze from one of the bowls. Bake the short ribs for 10 minutes. Glaze the short ribs again for the last three minutes (Optional).
- While the ribs are cooking... Mix the chopped dill, chives, parsley and basil in a small to medium sized bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Add the lemon zest and juice. Stir.
- Take the ribs out and cool for 3-4 minutes. Chop the ribs between the bones. Scoop the rice into a bowl. Top the rice with the short ribs and spoon on some glaze from the second bowl. Garnish with the salad. Enjoy.
- Note: The glaze and salad can be made ahead. Prep and cooking time can be done in less than 20 minutes if done this way.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Soy
Have Your Campari—and Eat It, Too
Granita is really, really great
Spike your granita with campari.
These snacks are independent.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
49 new dinnerware pieces.
A handy saucepan.