If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I pack bento often and am always looking for nutrient-dense and flavourful dishes to include. Maple soy sesame sauce lends bold Asian flavour to this vegan rice dish that can be enjoyed warm or room temperature. The meaty taste of crimini mushrooms along with fragrant garlic scapes ensure meatless does not mean bland. I keep containers of cooked grains in the freezer in 1-cup portions so this dish can be made in less than 15 minutes.
The recipe serves three which may seem strange at first glance. Think about it though, dinner for two followed by leftover lunch for one the next day. Makes perfect sense, no? - DessertByCandy
Maple Soy Sesame Sauce
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon mirin
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 8 ounces tempeh, diced to 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil or other cooking oil
- 2 cups sliced crimini mushroom
- 10 pieces garlic scapes, chopped to 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 cup cooked forbidden black rice, thawed if frozen
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- salt, to taste
- Heat a frying pan over medium high heat with half of the peanut oil to coat the pan.
- In a small bowl, stir together all ingredients for the sauce until no lumps of cornstarch remains.
- Evenly spread tempeh in hot frying pan and toast undisturbed on one side until golden, about 3 minutes. Flip and toast the other side. Empty into a bowl and set aside.
- Heat the remaining peanut oil in the frying pan and sauté mushroom until slightly golden. Toss in garlic scapes until heated. Stir in rice and tempeh. Give the sauce mixture one last stir and pour over everything in the pan. Stir until evenly coated and absorbed.
- Season with salt to taste and sprinkle with sesame seeds and red pepper flakes. Serve immediately or at room temperature.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Soy