Author Notes: This is an amazing (and gorgeous) beet salad, whose earthy flavor is highlighted by the acidity of the sherry vinegar. And we all know that beet+nut+cheese is a win-win situation.
The other good thing about these salads is they are good warmish, coldish, or at room temperature. So enjoy, whenever. Make it ahead. Go on a picnic. You get the idea. - martibk
- 2 large yellow beets
- 1.5 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon shallot, diced
- Combine shallots and vinegar and set aside for about fifteen minutes.
- Boil beets in water until tender.
- Whisk olive oil, shallots and vinegar in small bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste, whisk until combined.
- Let beets cool a while in the cooking liquid. Slip off skins and chop into bite-size pieces.
- Toss with rice, nuts, cheese and dressing. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Savory Rice Dish