If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Smoked trout and fig is one of my favorite pairings in an appetizer (or sandwich as witness my figgy trout sandwich here: http://www.food52.com/recipes/18451_smoked_trout_sandwich_with_figgy_salad). This go around I decided to make a spread instead of stacking everything the way I usually do on individual crackers. I lightened up some cream cheese with sour cream and mayo and swirled in a thick fig jam/pecan mix at the end. A bit of heat from a jalapeno gave it a nice bite. A perfect hors d'oeuvres in my opinion! - savorthis
Makes 3 cups
- 1 2/3 pounds smoked trout (or other smoked white fish)
- 1/2 cup whipped cream cheese
- 1/4 cup light sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 2 tablespoons minced jalapeno
- 3 tablespoons minced green onion
Fig Pecan Swirl
- 3 tablespoons fig jam
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup pecans, toasted, cooled, ground
- s&p to taste
- Break the trout into medium pieces attempting to remove as many bones as possible. Whisk cream cheese, sour cream and mayo together then stir in green onion and jalapeño. Fold into trout breaking up a bit more, but keeping some good chunks.
- Mix all swirl ingredients together. Add to trout mixture and carefully fold together to incorporate but not completely mix. Your goal is to make it like an ice cream with ribbons of caramel or fruit. You want to get little hints of fig in every bite.
- Carefully mound on a plate or bowl and serve with crackers (I chose the Carr's rosemary crackers which were wonderful) and sliced cucumber.