If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it
Author Notes: I was originally inspired by a Mario Batali dish with this spicy crab pasta, but I've gotten rid of the cilantro and taken the heat down to what I think is a little more reasonable level...at least to a level that my stomach thanks me for. It's a lovely dish for summer or fall, with a little heat and delicious crab mixed with rich egg pasta for an elegant starter. The pasta you use makes all the difference in the world, and I really recommend a thin long strand. If you can get egg pasta like tajarin or tagliatelle, it's even better. - Meatballs&Milkshakes
- 1/2 pound lump crab
- 1/2 pound tajarin, tagliatelle or other long egg pasta
- 2 clove garlics, minced
- 4 shallots or cippolini onions, minced
- 1 jalapeno or other chili pepper, seeds removed and minced
- 1 tablespoon basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs, toasted in a tablespoon of olive oil (optional)
- chili flakes to taste
- Roast the shallots or onions in foil in a 425 degree oven for half an hour until they are soft and you can easily remove the skin. Let them cool and chop them up.
- Cook the pasta in salted boiling water for 1 minute less than the package instructions.
- Meanwhile, saute the garlic, jalapeno, and onions in a couple tablespoons of olive oil. Add the crab meat and stir through. Add a cup of the pasta cooking water and let it cook down for a minute. Add the drained pasta and reserve some more water in case you need it. Remove from the heat and add a splash of olive oil along with basil leaves and chili flakes for garnish.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Shellfish