Author Notes: I was originally inspired by a Mario Batali dish with this spicy crab pasta, but I've gotten rid of the cilantro and taken the heat down to what I think is a little more reasonable level...at least to a level that my stomach thanks me for. It's a lovely dish for summer or fall, with a little heat and delicious crab mixed with rich egg pasta for an elegant starter. The pasta you use makes all the difference in the world, and I really recommend a thin long strand. If you can get egg pasta like tajarin or tagliatelle, it's even better. - Meatballs&Milkshakes
- 1/2 pound lump crab
- 1/2 pound tajarin, tagliatelle or other long egg pasta
- 2 clove garlics, minced
- 4 shallots or cippolini onions, minced
- 1 jalapeno or other chili pepper, seeds removed and minced
- 1 tablespoon basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs, toasted in a tablespoon of olive oil (optional)
- chili flakes to taste
- Roast the shallots or onions in foil in a 425 degree oven for half an hour until they are soft and you can easily remove the skin. Let them cool and chop them up.
- Cook the pasta in salted boiling water for 1 minute less than the package instructions.
- Meanwhile, saute the garlic, jalapeno, and onions in a couple tablespoons of olive oil. Add the crab meat and stir through. Add a cup of the pasta cooking water and let it cook down for a minute. Add the drained pasta and reserve some more water in case you need it. Remove from the heat and add a splash of olive oil along with basil leaves and chili flakes for garnish.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Shellfish