If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A moist autumn cake filled with fresh apples, buckwheat, honey and pecans, all topped off with a rich crispy crumble topping, and gluten-free to boot! - Kitchen Frau
For the cake:
- 2 cups pecans, (200gm)
- 1/2 cup butter or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2/3 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch or arrowroot starch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon ground chia seeds
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 cups grated apple, with peel, loosely packed
For the crumble topping:
- 1/4 cup butter or coconut oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/4 cup quick oats
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare a 9"x13" (22cmx30cm) pan by greasing it and lining it with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, grind the pecans until they are fine, but not starting to stick together into a butter.
- In the bowl of a mixer (or by hand) whip butter and honey until light and creamy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until well incorporated, then add applesauce. The mixture will look curdly - that's okay.
- Add the buckwheat flour, arrowroot or cornstarch, baking powder, ground chia seeds, cinnamon and ground pecans. Mix well. Stir in the grated apple.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
- Clean the bowl with a rubber spatula, but don't bother washing it because you can now make the topping in it. Mix all the ingredients for the crumble topping in the empty mixing bowl until crumbly. Spread the crumbles evenly over the batter in the pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool slightly in pan, then cut into squares.
- Serve with a dollop of whip cream or ice cream. Keeps well at room temperature for several days.
What's In, What's Out
What we're obsessed with, and what we're not.
What's in, what's out.
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
Wedding registry must haves.